Can you keep up with Sir Ian ‘Beefy’ Botham walking at a rate of 7.2 km/hr? Walking 2.5 – 3 hours per day?
If you think you can handle the challenge as Botham walks from Cape Town to Pretoria, raising funds for South African charities – then enter our competition.
If you are not a winner and would still like to join Botham on his charity trail – you can sign up at a modest cost of R200 on any of the days, at the locations as featured in the itinerary below.
100% of the proceeds will go to the charities that Botham supports in SA – not a cent raised will leave the country.
This will also be the last walk he will be doing, and marks the celebration of his 60th Birthday and the 30th anniversary of his first ever walk from John O’Groats to Lands End in Great Britain in 1985.
- Day 1 – December 10: From The Table Bay Hotel to Llandudno beach. This will be a spectacular finish as it is on the beach and is stunning, Sir Ian walks through Camps Bay with the most amazing view of Table mountain. We are hoping for John Barnes to join in along with the British High Commissioner in SA on this day.
- Day 2 – December 11: From Hout Bay to Tokai with Nazareth House. The walk goes over the back of the Mountain finishing at the Food Lovers Market in Tokai.
- Day 3 – December 12: From Kayamundi Primary School to Flagstone Winery. Starting at the primary school on top of a hill looking over Stellenbosch. The kids will be dancing and singing for the walkers who then walk to the winery where there will be a wine tasting and a few cheetahs roaming around …
- Day 4 – December 13: Port Elizabeth – down the coast, finishing at the Boardwalk hotel – where the Nelson Mandela Film Festival will be finishing the same day. This day is Chipembere’s so the tracking dogs will be with the walkers, a fun day!
- Day 5 – December 14: Durban – from the Springfield Food Lovers Market to the Umhlanga Pier.
- Day 6 – December 15: Soweto – the walk starts at Kliptown Youth Project, one of the charities, through the historic pasts of Soweto and finishing at Jabulani Mall, this will be an awesome day.
- Day 7 – December 16: Johannesburg – Makaya Ntini is joining the walkers on this day and the walk finishes at the Mazlow hotel – this is The Waitrose Foundation day.
- Day 8 – December 17: Pretoria – the final day in the capital, the walkers finish in Church Square.
HOW TO WIN:
- Tell us which day you wish to join Sir Ian Botham on his journey.
- Pledge to post images of your walk with him – selfies etc. via Twitter on the day to @BeefyBotham and @LaMaZingMedia using the hashtag #BeefyWalkSA
- Email your full name, contact telephone number, Twitter handle and details as requested above to: email@example.com
We will be selecting five winners to join Bothan on his #BeefyWalkSA
Winners will be able to invite a friend to join them.
Prize is not transferable for cash.
More about Beefy Walking the Rainbow Nation:
Should you not win then you are welcome to join and assist in raising funds by signing up here.
Visit the Facebook page